Sunday, June 17, 2012

Pumpkin Puree

Pumpkins are $2 in New Zealand. $2. Best bang for your buck if you ask me. Pumpkin meat and seeds for $2!






I typically make the most of the pumpkin by making a puree that I can later use in baking, cooking and in my oatmeal. [That's right, I add 2 TBSP of pureed pumpkin to my oats in the morning to add vitamins and to create that delicious pumpkin pie flavor along with cinnamon, allspice, brown sugar...you get the point. I eat oats every day and I'm all about making my oats more exciting that just oats.] 


Moving on. Pumpkin puree is super easy. Follow these directions and you'll never buy the canned version again!



Directions


  1. Preheat oven to 325 degrees F (165 degrees C).
  2. Cut the pumpkin in half, stem to base. Remove seeds and pulp. Set seeds aside in a bowl to bake into a crunchy, iron packed snack. Cover each half with foil.
  3. Bake in the preheated oven, foil side up, 1 hour, or until tender.
  4. Scrape pumpkin meat from shell halves and puree in a blender. Strain to remove any remaining stringy pieces. Store in the freezer in freezer safe bags.


No comments: